Who We Are
We are the first boutique firm located in Toronto devoted to the assist our clients to navigate the legal landscape of Mexico and Canada without getting lost in translations.
We are convinced clear communication is essential for the success of any project or case; our goal is helping our clients to find adequate answers to their legal needs, reducing distractions and saving time and money for dealing just with the right players.
Our director is Mr. Luis Guillermo Cruz Rico is a Barrister & Solicitor in Ontario, foreign legal consultant for Mexico and lawyer in good standing in that country with experience in litigation, including civil and criminal defence, advisory on due diligence and regulatory compliance, including corporate social responsibility in some industries relevant for Canadians, including mining, oil & gas and manufacturing. His litigation practice has been particularly focused in criminal law, constitutional law, humanitarian law, administrative law, and land access and land tenure claims. In November 2012 he was appointed by the Attorney General of Canada to assist his office regarding NAFTA and Mexican law.
- Barrister-at-Law and Solicitor at the Court of the Province of Ontario; The Law Society of Upper Canada, June 2014
- Certificate of Qualification, NCA, Federation of Law Societies of Canada, February 2013;
- Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, NCA and Law Student, 2012;
- Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, LL.M., 2009
- University of Windsor and Stitt Feld Handy Group, ADR, Basic and Advanced Training, Certificates, 2008
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (National Autonomous University of Mexico), A., Crime Policy, 2006
- Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Penales, Specialist Public Safety, Diploma, 2006
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (National Autonomous University of Mexico), Advanced Topics of Criminal Law, Diploma, 1997
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (National Autonomous University of Mexico) B.A., Licensed at Law, 1995.
MC Law Office | Abogados, law firm devoted in Mexican and Canadian law, Principal.
- Advisory, including corporate-commercial, immigration and humanitarian law
- Dispute Resolution, including litigation, criminal defence, mediation and arbitration
- Notary Public
Cruz Herrera Ltd., first consulting firm specialized in Mexican Law based in Toronto, Canada, Managing Director; April 2007 – June 2014
- Advised clients, including de Government of Canada, regarding the Mexican and international legal framework enforceable within Mexico;
- Drafted and analyzed contracts and agreements regarding the industries mentioned above;
- Represented Canadian clients facing criminal and regulatory offences in Mexico;
- Assisted clients in pleading their case at the political level in both countries in resolving complex legal situations, including transfer of prisoners, repatriation, deportation, etc, and liaison with authorities and media;
- Assisted clients to planning, executing and closing projects within Mexico and navigate through the differences of legal system and cultural dimension
- Instructor and speaker in seminars and workshops;
- Prepared opinions and complaints regarding Human Rights violations before domestic and international institutions.
Greenspan Partners LLP, Toronto, Canada, Articling Student, September 13- January 15, 2014 and In-House Consultant, April 2000 – September 2012
- Counsel in Mexican Criminal and Constitutional Law;
- Acted as agent and liaison defending clients in Mexico in high-profile cases that have received national and international media attention.
Cruz Herrera y Asociados, Abogados, Mexico City, Partner, June 2000 - September 2005
- Defended clients of Criminal and regulatory offences;
- Defended clients before federal courts through Amparo trials;
- Assisted North American clients before Administrative tribunals, federal and local levels, including Labour and Environmental proceedings;
- Prepared complaints before International and domestic Human Rights Commissions.
Mexico City Government, Cuajimalpa Region, Legal Department, Chief of Department, August 1998 - June 2000
- Setting-up legal representation and legal defence for the Cuajimalpa Delegation regarding administrative proceedings before federal and local administrative tribunals;
- Followed Amparo trials, direct and indirect proceedings, before Constitutional Courts; District Courts and Circuit Tribunals;
- Prepared complaints on behalf of the delegation in Criminal matters;
- Provided opinions regarding Administrative law, including regulatory compliance.
Aeropuertos y Servicios Auxiliares (Airport Administration Authority),
Mexico City, Legal Analyst, June 1997 - August 1998
- Drafted and analyzed contracts;
- Participated as legal consul in procurement regulation and bidding processes;
- Provided opinions regarding labour relations and unions rights;
- Conducted legal research and analysis
Universidad Humanitas, Mexico City, Teacher, August 2003- July 2005
- Criminal law
- Constitutional law
- Administrative law
Universidad del Valle de México, Mexico City, Teacher, August 2002, July 2003
- Criminal law
- Tax law
Articles and Conferences
- Derecho para no Abogados (Law for non-Lawyers) Seminar, Acus Consulting and Cruz Herrera, Ltd., Mexico City, 2013, 2014, and 2015, Presenter
- Building Bridges between Legal Communities from Mexico and Canada, Instituto Tecnológico de Estudios Superior Monterrey, Campus, Estado de México, April 17th, 2013, Presenter
- Communal Land tenure Issues in Mexico, Challenges and Solutions, Prospectors and Developers Association Convention, PDAC, Technical Session- Land Session, March 3, 2013, Presenter
- International Law Student Conference, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, and Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, January 26, 2013, Co-Chair
- Comentarios de Derecho Agrario y CSR (Working with Communities, Comments on Agrarian Law and CSR), Mexico-Canada Mining Task, November 9th, 2011, Mexico City, Co-Chair and Presenter
- Trabajando con las Comunidades, Comentarios de Derecho Agrario y CSR (Working with Communities, Comments on Agrarian Law and CSR), Mexico-Canada Mining Task, November 9th, 2011, Mexico City, Co-Chair and Presenter
- Excelling in the NCA Process and Beyond, YDL Central, Ontario Bar Association, October 17th, 2011, Co-Chair
- Opportunities in Renewable Energy Generation in Mexico, published by North American Trade & Investment Reform, Thomson Reuters, January 2011, Co-author
- Mexico’s Oil Industry Reform, published by North American Trade & Investment Reform, Thomson Reuters, October 2010, Co-author
- Dispute Resolution, Preventing and Correcting Environmental and Land-Tenure Issues for Canadian Companies in Mexico, MineMexico, September 27th, 2010, Toronto, Co-Chair and Presenter
Groups and Associations
- Mexico-Canada Alliance of Commerce, 2010 – Present, President
- Toronto Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, 2014 – August 2016, Chairman
- Hispanic Ontario Lawyers Association, Member, from Nov 2011 to May 21th, 2013, President
- Latin American MBA Alumni Association, 2010- 2014, Honorary Member
- Canadian Bar Association, 2009- Present, Member
- Ontario Bar Association, 2009-Present, Member
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgic, Petroleum, 2010- Present, Member