MC Law Firm | Abogados is the first law firm based in Toronto devoted to providing services in accordance with the laws of Mexico and Canada
Our firm is led by Guillermo Cruz Rico, a dually-qualified lawyer in Mexico and Ontario authorized to practice law In both ends of North America.
With a combined experience of more than 21 years practicing law in Mexico and Canada Mr. Cruz Rico has an unique understanding and command of two different legal systems, cultures and languages; therefore, he could assist you to deal with your legal needs in both ends of North America without getting lost in translations nor wasting time or money.
MC Law Firm | Abogados has been providing services in English and Spanish since 2014.
We are convinced that clear communication is essential for the success of any project or case; our goal is helping our clients to find adequate answers to their legal needs, reducing distractions and saving time and money for dealing just with the right players.
Our director is Mr. Luis Guillermo Cruz Rico is a Barrister and Solicitor and foreign legal consultant for Mexico in Ontario and lawyer in good standing in that country with experience in cross-border litigation, including criminal and civil defence, immigration and advisory on corporate law and due diligence and regulatory compliance in both countries. In Mexico his practice has been particularly focused in criminal law, constitutional law, humanitarian law, administrative law including ejido and agrarian land tenure claims; in Canada he is devoted to practice economic immigration and corporate and commercial law. In November 2012 he was appointed by the Attorney General of Canada to assist his office regarding NAFTA and Mexican law.
Barrister-at-Law and Solicitor, The Law Society of Ontario, June 2014.
Notary Public appointed by the Attorney General of Ontario, June 2014
Certificate of Qualification, National Committee on Accreditation, Federation of Law Societies of Canada, 2013
Foreign Legal Consultant for Mexico authorized by the Law Society of Ontario, Since 2007
Lawyer in good standing authorized to practice law in Mexico since 2000.
MC Law Office | Abogados, law firm devoted to Mexican and Canadian law, Principal.
• Advisory, including corporate-commercial, immigration and humanitarian law
• Dispute Resolution, including litigation, criminal defence, mediation and arbitration
• Notary Public
Cruz Herrera Ltd., first consulting firm specialized in Mexican Law based in Toronto, Canada, Managing Director; April 2007 – June 2014
• Advised clients, including de Government of Canada, regarding the Mexican and international legal framework enforceable within Mexico;
• Drafted and analyzed contracts and agreements regarding the industries mentioned above;
• Represented Canadian clients facing criminal and regulatory offences in Mexico;
• Assisted clients in pleading their case at the political level in both countries in resolving complex legal situations, including transfer of prisoners, repatriation, deportation, etc, and liaison with authorities and media;
• Assisted clients to planning, executing and closing projects within Mexico and navigate through the differences of legal system and cultural dimension
• Instructor and speaker in seminars and workshops;
• Prepared opinions and complaints regarding Human Rights violations before domestic and international institutions.
Greenspan Partners LLP, Toronto, Canada, Articling Student, September 2013 - January 2014 and In-House Consultant, April 2006 – September 2012
• Counsel in Mexican Criminal and Constitutional Law;
• Acted as agent and liaison defending clients in Mexico in high-profile cases that have received national and international media attention.
Cruz Herrera y Asociados, Abogados, Mexico City, Partner, June 2000 - September 2005
• Defended clients of Criminal and regulatory offences;
• Defended clients before federal courts through Amparo trials;
• Assisted North American clients before Administrative tribunals, federal and local levels, including Labour and Environmental proceedings;
• Prepared complaints before International and domestic Human Rights Commissions.
Mexico City Government, Cuajimalpa Region, Legal Department, Chief of Department, August 1998 - June 2000
• Setting-up legal representation and legal defence for the Cuajimalpa Delegation regarding administrative proceedings before federal and local administrative tribunals;
• Followed Amparo trials, direct and indirect proceedings, before Constitutional Courts; District Courts and Circuit Tribunals;
• Prepared complaints on behalf of the delegation in Criminal matters;
• Provided opinions regarding Administrative law, including regulatory compliance.
Aeropuertos y Servicios Auxiliares (Airport Administration Authority), Mexico City, Legal Analyst, June 1997 - August 1998
• Drafted and analyzed contracts;
• Participated as legal consul in procurement regulation and bidding processes;
• Provided opinions regarding labour relations and unions rights;
• Conducted legal research and analysis
Master of Laws, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Canada
Basic and Advanced Diplomas, Stitt Feld Handy Group, Windsor University, Canada
Master of Crime Policy, FES Acatlán, UNAM, Mexico
Specialist on Public Safety, INACIPE, Mexico
Advanced Training on Criminal Law Diploma, Instituto de Investigaciones Jurídicas, UNAM, Mexico
English Skills for Lawyers Diploma, Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico
Juris Doctor, UNAM, FES Acatlán, UNAM, Mexico
Some Articles and Conferences
• Derecho para no Abogados (Law for non-Lawyers) Seminar, Acus Consulting and Cruz Herrera, Ltd., Mexico City, 2013, 2014, and 2015, Presenter
• Building Bridges between Legal Communities from Mexico and Canada, Instituto Tecnológico de Estudios Superior Monterrey, Campus, Estado de México, April 17th, 2013, Presenter
• Communal Land tenure Issues in Mexico, Challenges and Solutions, Prospectors and Developers Association Convention, PDAC, Technical Session- Land Session, March 3, 2013, Presenter
• International Law Student Conference, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, and Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, January 26, 2013, Co-Chair
• Comentarios de Derecho Agrario y CSR (Working with Communities, Comments on Agrarian Law and CSR), Mexico-Canada Mining Task, November 9th, 2011, Mexico City, Co-Chair and Presenter
• Trabajando con las Comunidades, Comentarios de Derecho Agrario y CSR (Working with Communities, Comments on Agrarian Law and CSR), Mexico-Canada Mining Task, November 9th, 2011, Mexico City, Co-Chair and Presenter
• Excelling in the NCA Process and Beyond, YDL Central, Ontario Bar Association, October 17th, 2011, Co-Chair